Pages

Friday, August 28, 2015

Murky Weather


 I found a sastrugi arch yesterday, but it was difficult to take a picture of it in the lighting we had.
The past few days have had a very ambient murky light. That lighter spot in the sky in the picture above is actually the moon. It is supposed to be full today but who knows if we will actually get to see it again.
 Everything looks the same shade of dark blue and I had to use my head lamp so I wouldn't be constantly tripping over sastrugi.
Yesterday was a perfect day for taking creepy pictures at SuperDARN though. It is also really warm today, -57 F and you can absolutely tell the difference.
The air felt different, warmer, more syrupy and it had a different smell, wetter somehow. The wind has been coming out of grid east for a while now and we haven't warmed up above -70 in weeks (that I can remember). Now the wind is coming from grid north from the Weddell sea. I checked the weather when I got back inside and saw that the physio-altitude was at 10,874 ft. (We had been stuck around 11,500 for a week or more now).
Nobody has noticed that I have been breaking off sastrugi carrying them back to the station and standing them up here for about a month now... They have started to grow frost on them, making them kind of fuzzy, which is interesting. I wonder if my 'sastrugi monolith garden' will make it until station opening. This is some seriously slow paced winter entertainment right here, hopefully I can get away with calling it 'art' and it not be taken as evidence that I'm going nuts. (I'm not going crazy, don't worry, but while we're on the topic, I have had at least three dreams in the past week and half about going to the grocery store and cooking food.)
The station is covered in frost too and that also looks pretty awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment