Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Arrival in McMurdo

We took a C-17 from Christchurch to Mcmurdo.
I got to go up on to the flight deck and look around. 
The runway is out on the permanent ice on the Ross ice shelf. You have to take a big passenger tractor about an hour across the ice shelf to get in to town.

 It was about -9F when we got off the plane, with the big red I hardly felt the cold. ony my hand got a little chilly taking pictures.
 This Mount Erebus and Mount Terror. Mt Erebus (left) is an active volcano, its is unusual for it to not have a plume of smoke.

This is the passenger tractor. These pictures were taken around 11:30 pm.
Observation hill, hopefully I will climb this later.
This is the view across the Ross ice shelf from Ross island that McMurdo is on.
The airfield is out there on that ice.
More pictures to come!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful pictures! Keep it up! I can not wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete